World Food Program recruits 01 Risk and Compliance Officer
Duration: 1-year renewable
Why work with us?
This position is based in our Regional Bureau in Dakar (RBD), Senegal. This Regional Bureau covers a broad and remarkably diverse set of countries in West and Central Africa.
RBD provides strategic guidance, policy/technical support and direction to WFP operations and activities in 19 countries in the region which is an amazing mix of cultures, people, and diversity.
Saving & changing lives Make a difference, the world will notice. We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter future.
Global community Build bridges that unite people across the world. Being part of a global, diverse and multicultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to innovative ideas and perspectives. How we deliver our mission in deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team, will certainly enrich your experience and knowledge on so many levels.
Unlimited possibilities Unlock possibilities you never thought you’d find. WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
Life-changing experience Reach beyond yourself and discover your true potential. WFP offers the life-changing experiences you’re unlikely to find in many other organizations.
Join us to make a difference, watch this video to know more about us!!
This position is located in the Regional Bureau in Dakar (RBD) and covers risk and compliance responsibilities. The incumbent will report to the Senior Regional Compliance Officer.
Provide effective support in the establishment of effective risk assessment and risk management activities; application of controls and compliance with policies and procedures; and contribution to the overall effectiveness of operations and optimization of WFP resources by championing the mainstreaming of WFP’s risk and compliance framework.
- Contribute to embedding risk assessment in planning and decision making through developing and/or monitoring of key risk appetite metrics and risk indicators, and regular updating of risk registers, including progress towards implementing the risk mitigation actions.
- Provide support to managers in analysing and strengthening existing processes on risk & compliance issues and on maintaining an effective internal control environment to support operational efficiency.
- Provide assistance in ensuring that the use of all WFP resources is in conformity with approved CO strategic plans/project plans, WFP rules and procedures, and donor funding agreements.
- Contribute to ideas on enhancement of adequate internal control systems with clear accountabilities, including performance and risk management systems, monitoring and oversight processes and techniques, tools, processes to support their implementation.
- Contribute to the development of compliance Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) by 1st Line of Defense colleagues for managing the risk and compliance process, including criteria for conducting risk and compliance missions, training materials and modules, etc.
- Support relevant managers in their regular and ad hoc risk assessments in regional, country and field offices risk assessments to: identify and evaluate risks, assess effectiveness of the internal controls, and assess the potential for fraud and corruption in operational activities.
- Contribute to risk management effectiveness across the office and all aspects of WFP’s operations.
- Support managers in their fact-finding reviews and fraud risk assessments. Collect and analyse data on fraud incidents, fraud risk metrics, and fraud risk appetite, support training in AFAC standards.
- Contribute to accountability across functional units, prepare comprehensive reports summarising the status of compliance of internal controls, key oversight themes, and using risk information (e.g. risk indicators, incidents) to highlight areas out of risk appetite and contribute ideas on required actions in areas of risk & compliance vulnerability.
- Support managers in the preparation of risk information for management to share with external stakeholders such as UN system-wide engagement, donors, and partners.
- Assess information/training needs and prepare and deliver training programmes or information sessions for colleagues and partners in RB or CO to enhance understanding of risk management and compliance with WFP policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
- Support risk management focal points in region/country offices.
- Demonstrate managerial and functional skills by effectively managing staff and building staff capabilities for high performance results.
- Other duties, as required.
Desired experiences for entry into the role:
- Has gained programme/project management experience.
- Has conducted monitoring and reporting activities, demonstrating knowledge of results hierarchy, performance metrics and measurement.
- Participated in risk analysis and risk mitigation strategies development and/or implementation.
Standard minimum academic qualifications
- Education: Advanced University degree in Finance, Accounting, Business and Public Administration, International Development, Audit, Social Sciences, Political Sciences (or other relevant field) and/or training/courses in Audit, Performance and Risk Management (or other related fields).
- Experience: At least three years of relevant and progressive experience in undertaking and/or contributing to risk management activities, including assessing and recommending effective internal controls and mitigation actions, in various organizations that use modern enterprise risk management frameworks, techniques and systems.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting an inclusive work environment in which diversity is valued and where no form of discrimination is tolerated.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate based on HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Deadline for application: August 18, 2021