|Description de l’offre|
• Thiès, Sénégal
• Journalisme – Édition
• Marketing – Communication
• ONG et Ambassades
Tostan is hiring a Communications Specialist.
Tostan is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in five West African countries. Strategically, the organization is committed to continuing to develop its core competency of empowering education and to documenting and scaling the sustainable impact it creates across a range of issues. Tostan’s flagship model, the 3-Year Community Empowerment Program (CEP), has already reached thousands of communities in both West and East Africa since 1991.
Outcomes in governance, education, health, economic empowerment, and the environment are currently tracked, and Tostan has been particularly proud to play a significant role in the large-scale empowerment of women and girls and the community-led abandonment of harmful practices such as female genital cutting and child marriage.
Ideally working out of Thies/Dakar, reporting to the CEO, the Communications Specialist (CS) will lead the communications department to help build relationships, engage diverse communities and share Tostan’s stories and ideas through effective print, digital, and interactive communication.
The CS will supervise the Communication team, including the Global Message Mobilizer who oversees Tostan’s online presence, including website, social media, and other online publications.
The CS will manage integration and automation between existing digital platforms to create effective communication channels and target audience experiences.
The CS will have a strong understanding and expertise in framing for diverse audiences, conceptualizing and producing state-of-the-art digital content, accessibility, usability, architecture, development and social media, as well as a proven understanding
of traditional marketing, search engine optimization, brand management, and online measurement tools.
The Communications Specialist will use a combination of creativity, innovation, and practical relationship building and marketing knowledge to deliver promotional messages and campaigns, increase mission awareness and maintain brand recognition.
Communications products and norms rapidly change in today’s world and the specialist should be adept at keeping Tostan adapting accordingly.
This position requires some technical ability as the CS will work with computer software to create or oversee the creation of graphics, videos, blog posts and other interactive formats that are in-line with your organization’s branding goals.
The candidate also must have the requisite
social/digital media skills to ensure that these campaigns are successfully implemented.
To this end, applicants should have working knowledge of SEO (Search Engine Optimization), as well as growth tracking, ROI, web-related data analysis and other metrics.
This is a highly collaborative position so excellent teamwork and communication skills are vital; candidates should be comfortable communicating with teammates, other departments, program partners, and the public.
• Manages Tostan’s communications team, including the Global Message Mobilizer. Coordinate with the Resource Development Team to develop and implement strategies to build and strengthen the organization’s brand in the digital space.
• Oversees the execution of Tostan’s Communications Strategy and ensures all publications align with strategic messaging, including plan for monitoring, evaluating, and adapting the strategy over time
• Provides support to all departments relating to public engagement and creates digital content and other communication tools (ex: presentation decks, info sheets, etc).
• Manages the development and production pipeline for Tostan’s social media strategy as developed by the GMM. Reviews analytics and strategic priorities in order to increase trust in the community through clear and engaging dialogue.
• Fosters community engagement by identifying key stakeholders and new support networks for Tostan; coordinates with staff to develop community engagement and press opportunities via interactive media platforms and events, helps manage and follow up during and after engagement opportunities.
• Supervises the implementation of staff support with social media strategy needs.
• Recommends a suite of digital communication tools to create and maximize efficiency and customer service experiences, in line with the communications strategy.
• Supervises the Tostan website makeover, scheduled to begin summer 2021.
• Manages content collection and information/media needed from country offices in coordination with National Coordinators/Communications interns
• Development and implementation of an annual communication plan and budget Support the preparation of a periodic progress reports
• Review and ensure quality is maintained in all communication activities, products and outputs to ensure they have an impact, and remain aligned with the strategy
• Any other tasks related to the achievement of the intended deliverables under this position.
The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position:
Education & Training
Master’s degree in Digital Media, Journalism, Communications, or a related field.
• Minimum five years of management experience in communications, marketing social, digital content management, or public relations.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
• Candidate must be a motivated creative thinker who can multitask at a high level and can work both independently and in a team environment.
• Bilingual (English/French), excellent written and verbal communications; knowledge of a local language such as Wolof or Pulaar is a plus
• Excellent writing and editing skills; attention to details is essential
• Must be able to repurpose content for multiple platforms
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to effectively use shared decision making in a spirit of collaboration with various teams
• Candidates must have experience in website/content management; WordPress system a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud, SMCS, HTML, CSS design, video and editing tools, various internet applications, web tools, analytics, and new media platforms.
• Experience in forecasting changes in the digital communication space to effectively use resources
• Experience in brand marketing or marketing preferred.
• Experience with Mailchimp software or similar email marketing platform
• An understanding of and interest in the field of international development is desired.
• Direct supervisor: CEO
• Others: Close working relationship with Global Mobilisation Team (GMT), Programs, and other teams.
• Supervises: The Communication Team, including the Global Message Mobilizer and relevant parties in
• The position is based in Thies/Dakar, Senegal.
Please send your application with the reference « Com Specialist A21 » to the e-mail address by 15 th August 2021 at the latest, accompanied by
• A cover letter
• Copies of diplomas and certificates
• A detailed CV including the contact details of three referees, one of whom should be your current or previous supervisor.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer.
We evaluate all applications, regardless of race, religion,age, gen der, nationality, disability or any other discrimination prohibited by law.
We therefore strongly encourage applications from women and people with disabilities.
Selected candidates will be submitted to pre-employment screening in accordance with the Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy, the Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Policy and the Counter Terrorism Screening Policy.
Closing date : 15 August 2021.